Monday 18 March 2013

Top 10 Movie Countdown: BlogHop

Greetings and Salutations! Today I am joining in Alex J Cavanaugh's Top 10 Movie Countdown Blogfest! (See link for those joining in!)

The instructions really could not be more simple: List your Top 10 Fave Movies!

The only difficulty I have here is in ranking my top 10 - I think my absolute fave varies, and my top 10 varies also. So, in no particular order, here are my top 10 (this week):

The Sci-Fi Crew:
1. Terminator 2 - I just love this film. I have probably watched it more than any other (excepting maybe Star Wars). I love how strong Sarah Connor is. I love how Arnie turns from Hunter to Protector in this film. I could quote it nearly word for word. "No Problemo." "Hasta La Vista Baby." Ahhh. I want to watch it now.
2. The Matrix - I like to pretend the sequels didn't exist. One of the few films where I have walked out of the cinema and wanted to walk right back in again and re-watch it. Home of one of the most copied sequences (where the camera pans around Neo). Awesome does not cut it. "Stop trying to hit me and hit me."
3. Star Wars: A New Hope - because it's STAR WARS dudes. And Han Solo needs a mention. And Obi Wan. "These are not the droids you're looking for."
4. Donnie Darko - I just could not get enough of this movie. Saw it tons of times in the cinema. Inventive. Brilliant acting.The Gyllenhaal. "I promise that one day, everything's gonna be better for you."

The '80s Lot:
5. Heathers - ahhh Heathers. "Greetings and Salutations!" "What's your damage, Heather?" Christian Slater at his sexiest. Nuff said.

The '90s Lot
6. Pump Up The Volume. - another Slater fave. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who loves this film. He's a pirate radio DJ - mild mannered by day, outrageous by night. "It's like a dirty thought in a nice clean mind."
7. Speed - Because seriously. The opening lift sequence is nail-biting excitement that would be the denouement in another movie and is JUST THE START here. A simple, great set up: There's a bomb on a bus. Keanu, being muscley hotness. Sandra Bullock being fab. "Pop Quiz Hot Shot." 
8. Reality Bites - Not many movies really capture that post college, finding your feet, working out what to be time and Reality Bites does it perfectly. We need more novels like this. Eminently quotable, I still love Troy Dyer. "All you have to be by the time you're 23 is yourself." I could quote this entire movie. But I won't.

The Chick Flicks
9. 13 Going on 30 - I just... it's so cute! Jennifer Garner is cute and the plot zips along and I just love it. I'm not sure why, even. "If you're gonna start lying about your age, I'd go with 27."
10. Mean Girls - who doesn't love this? Brilliant writing, Tina Fey is a goddess. "Stop trying to make fetch happen!"

Many many movies I couldn't mention. Any of the above on your list?

28 comments:

  1. These are all great! I like how you had them all broken down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun movies. Funny thing is I could watch chic flicks with you, and I generally don't think of myself as a chic flick gal.

    Rhonda
    Laugh-Quotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome on Pump up the Volume and Heathers... I like them for other reasons... not for Slater...

    Jeremy [Retro-Z]
    Howlin' Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Star Wars, Speed and The Matrix, they are classics in their own way. I know this is probably going to sound sacrilegious, but I watched Donnie Darko and was ... well ... bored. I've never seen Pump up the Volume or Reality Bites though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not alone - Pump Up The Volume was a great flick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 13 Going on 30 was cute. The Matrix just missed my top list. It was difficult to choose.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. me & you are so simpatico!
    13 going on 30, loooove! mark ruffalo is my secret crush (not secret anymore i guess)
    and watched heathers this weekend.
    reality bites has an awesome soundtrack too!
    no wonder we are friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, Terminator 2 was damn good and the two chick flicks weren't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huzzah to Terminator 2 love! Awesome list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww I loved "13 going on 30" and Matrix, and Terminator, and Speed, and Mean Girls.... I'll stop now, awesome list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Sci Fi Crew is my crew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen The Matrix a few times today, I wish I'd put it on my list now.

    Great films!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great lists! I agree about the Matrix sequels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Picks, especially the scifi, my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love T2, The Matrix and Heathers. All awesome choices!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 13 going on 30! Another one I love! I just want to watch movies all day now :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The trouble with picking my favourite film is that it changes every day. It might be easier to pick a favourite in a specific genre (fave strange film: Field of Dreams), but even then I'd struggle. But seriously: The Matrix? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great picks! Matrix should've been on my list. Star wars made it though.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donnie Darko is classic! *sparkle motion*

    And Matrix is a pivotal film in our culture. Fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dani - thanks Dani! Was fun breaking it down!

    Rhonda - Sometimes a chick flick is just what one needs!

    Jeremy - Heathers & Volume are both great movies! Glad you like 'em too!

    Natasha - fair enough, Donnie isn't for everyone! Glad you agree on some of the others ;)

    Bob - thanks so glad I am not the only 'Volume' fan! :)

    Alex - it was v. difficult to pick 10, and I have seen tons I wish I'd included. Thanks for running such a fun fest!

    Tara - Mark Ruffalo is LOVELY and Reality does have great music! Hee yes indeed no wonder we are friends! :)

    Pat - thank you, T2 is SUCH a good movie! :)

    David - thanks David!

    S.K. - hee thanks, glad you like my picks!

    Al - thanks the Sci Fi Crew is a partic fave!

    Heather- I saw TONS I wish I'd put on my list! It's so hard to remember them all.

    Nicole - What Matrix sequels? :)

    D.G. - thanks, I am partial to the Sci Fi too!

    Nancy - thanks, glad you like 'em!

    J. A. - ha me too! So many I want to rewatch!

    Julia - i found it hard picking these 10, am sure tomorrow I'll remember another 10!

    nutschell- Star Wars FTW!

    Pk Hrezo - SPARKLE MOTION! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to be SO in love with Speed. Not sure why its fallen off my radar. Thank you for reminding me of it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, good choices! I liked the first Terminator better than the second one, but Sarah Connor did turn pretty kick ass awesome. Glad to see Star Wars on your list :)

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVED 13 Going on 30. Ha! It was very cute. Ready for this fun fact? Mean Girls is based off of the high school that my middle school students feed into. Very cool and kind of sad all at once. ;) Love Tina Fey.

    ReplyDelete
  24. DL - ahh Speed is succh a good movie.

    Allison - Sarah Connor is AWESOMELY KICK ASS in T2. Awesomely isn't really an adjective is it. Never mind! Star Wars FTW.

    Kimberly - oh my goodness it was? Cool and sad yes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heathers and Pump Up the Volume! You just won my heart. Seriously, two of my all-time favorites! Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jenn - hee, glad you agree and share my movie taste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. A New Hope is def. one of my favorites, too! I could watch that movie in marathon and still not be sick of it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your Sci Fi picks!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I'd love to know what you think! :)