Wednesday 13 March 2013

YA Highway: Road Trip Wednesday: Bad Habits!

Taking part in YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday! Today's question is:

Spring cleaning! What do you hope to "clean out" from your writing? What habits/tropes/words etc do you want to eliminate?

This is in one way an easy one, because I just posted a list of all the things I look for in a close edit. Those are absolutely all bad habits I hope to break!

But today I think the number one bad habit I need to break is self doubt, when it stops me from writing. I need to accept that all those bad habits will be in there, that it might not be perfect, that the plot might need work or the character not quite speak to me, and go for it anyway. I feel stymied by lack of ... positivity? Confidence? inspiration? Brain power? Mojo? at the moment so that's definitely what I want to stop!

How about you? If you have time to check out my list of close edits and have anything to add, I would love to hear it ;)

9 comments:

  1. I'd eliminate my habit of using the same stupid phrases and words in every single manuscript. You'd think by now I would've learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You talk about eliminating tropes like they're a bad thing. Kidding, but you know how much I like them. Need to Spring Clean the computer files more than anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to turn off that internal editor--if you figure out the trick, I hope you'll share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The doubt is good to a point (it keeps us editing, polishing, and getting that WiP one step closer to finished), but it's hard to know when enough is enough. That's what your beta readers are for :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex - old habits die hard!

    David - hee, you are right, some are great! :)

    Lara - it is SO HARD I am not sure I have the trick ;)

    Tara - thank you!

    Nickie - yes that's true, you need someone to tell you ENOUGH

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stink at the patience thing. But I'm forced to endure often in this profession. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the end of his excellent book 'Stein on Writing', author Sol Stein gives 'Ten Commandments for Writers'. The last one is: 'Above all, thou shalt not vent thy emotions onto the reader, for thy duty is to evoke the reader's emotions, and in that most of all lies the art of the writer.' Think on!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I'd love to know what you think! :)