Wednesday 25 July 2012

Congratulations to winners, YA Highway + why is getting ideas onto paper sometimes so hard?

This is a Four Fold post.

Firstly I joined in the Hookers and Hangers Blogfest on Falling for Fiction and congrats to all the winners. I will work harder on my Hookers and Hangers ;) I certainly learned a lot. I learned that lots of my hooks start with ‘I’ and that the most favoured ones where were the voice came through most.

Second, congrats to Cassie Mae of the above Falling for Fiction and Erica Chapman on getting agents! HURRAH! Go congratulate them! It is so lovely to hear good news for awesome souls!

Third, YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday asks which fictional character would you be reincarnated as? As Elodie said, a lot of the YA Characters I like, do not have the best time of it. I am not going to pick to be Katniss!

Not a YA choice but the person who immediately leaps to mind is Elizabeth Bennet of Pride and Prejudice. She ends up with Darcy! She is witty and independent, knows her own mind - I would love to be her.

Suddenly want to read a YA Pride and Prejudice: are there any? Though Bridget Jones Diary may have corned that literary wise, albeit not YA.

Fourth, I am having trouble transferring new ideas onto paper at the moment. I am inspired, I plan, I think it is all great and then... nothing. It doesn’t work out. Humph. Likely the idea needs more work or the character fleshing out. Or my brain replacing. I am lucky that patient souls are happy to hear me witter on about my ideas (mostly YA futuristic type deals - the ideas, not the patient souls). If anybody else likes to throw ideas around, and I wil obviously help in return, comment or message me at viklitblog at google’s mail.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Ok tomorrow likely catch up on comments and blogs, have a good day all!

26 comments:

  1. Pride and Popularity by Jenni James is a great YA take on the P&P story. And I totally agree, I would love to be Elizabeth. In fact I was thrilled to marry a Bennett, even though it's spelled different it still feels like my fairy-tale came true ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh thank you for the book rec, I will check it out.

      And how awesome!!! It totally came true ;)

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth Bennet is a great choice! I'm more of an Anne Elliot and PERSUASION gal myself (though her story is pretty darn sad). I think Elizabeth is feisty and witty, and those two traits are both pretty admirable in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Elizabeth is a good choice - though Anne is a good character too. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read P&P yet, but it's on the list! And I definitely avoided characters that are great people, but whose life I wouldn't want to live. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only way I think, so many great characters but soooo wouldn't want to live their story! Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  4. I feel that way so much right now. I think I've started or plotted half a dozen stories in the last two months, and none of them have made it past chapter 2. You're right, it probably is that the ideas need more work, but it's so frustrating when you're in the middle of it. Good luck!

    As for the YA character, I'd pick either Jo March or Hermione Granger (assuming either of those books counts as YA). They're both clever and smart and fearlessly independent, plus Jo is a wildly successful writer by the second and third books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not the only one! It is so frustrating. Your stories are all such awesome ideas from what I see on your website, I find it hard to believe you have trouble. If you need anyone to run ideas by, I am very happy to though am sure you have people already ;)

      Jo March is a FAB choice why did I not think of her!

      Delete
  5. I would think there'd be a ton of YA versions of Pride and Prejudice. It would fit the YA demographic very well. Elizabeth is a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think Elizabeth is a good choice!

      Delete
  6. Pride and Prejudice has been on my "Classics to Read" list for years. Great choice though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a must read ;) Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Don't beat yourself up - the ideas will flow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't pick just one, but I also picked Elizabeth Bennett. She's by far the fiestiest Austen character I think.
    Pride and Poppularity by Jenni James someone already mentioned. There's also Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard which is a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the book recs, I will check them out. And Elizabeth Bennett is a fab choice, yay!

      Delete
  9. Aww, thank you so much for the shout out!! Ohhh Pride and Prejudice!! Good one ;o) Thanks for this, so sweet <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness no trouble, it is so so nice to hear good news about good people!

      Thank you for the follow too.

      Delete
  10. i know what you mean. i really wanted to write something for the write club but i cant think of anything good & quick...

    i need inspiration! maybe an afternoon at the park or a walk down the street for some characters =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do the ideas sometimes elude us so?!

      Good luck finding inspiration!

      Delete
  11. Elizabeth Bennet seems to be popular! But I completely understand why, she is a great strong heroine who has it all in the end :)

    Sorry to hear you are struggling writing-wise, hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope so too!

      She is a good choice I think ;)

      Delete
  12. Elizabeth is an awesome choice! I don't think I'd choose Katniss either, I'm way to wimpy for that! Lol

    And thank you so much for the shout out and for participating in the blogfest! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would choose Katniss, she doesn't go through a very good time.

      No problem, was LOVELY to hear your good news!

      Delete
  13. A.) I think it's wonderful that you've been interviewed and I will definitely check it out!!!

    B.) Your blog is great. You deserve all the followers you get :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you that's v. nice of you to say *hug*

      Delete

Please comment, I'd love to know what you think! :)