Wednesday 11 July 2012

YA Highway: Film better than book?


YA Highway today see here is the great topic: where has the film been better than the book?

This is a difficult question because like many of us, if I have read the book first and loved it, then I never feel the film has lived up because it doesn't match the picture in my head.

Remains of the Day is a classic example of this; considered to be a brilliant film by many but I love the book, I studied it before I watched the film, and for me nothing can match up to the deliciousness of that unreliable narrator unravelling through the beauty of Kazuo Ishiguro's prose.

Sometimes I do not think a film is as good, but I understand why they made the choices they did. The Beach is an example of this: it’s a long novel, too long to fit everything in so where they rolled two characters into one for example, I understand why.

The Hunger Games, I do not love *quite* as much as the book, but I thought they did a very good job, possibly aided by input from Suzanne herself. I thought they captured the key moments, the feel, I didn’t feel overly ‘let down’ by any of their decisions. It is missing, as most films, that filter of being so closely in Katniss’s brain and some nuances get lost that way (how much Katniss’s feelings for Peeta may be ‘played up’ for the cameras I think gets lost somewhat in the film). But overall they did a good job; I felt pleased.

But a better job? No.

One film which does spring to mind is Twilight. I prefer the movie: don’t hate me Twilight lovers! I am not saying I didn't enjoy the book, I did.

However I didn't love it oh my goodness don't touch it, like I did the Hunger Games, so I was possibly more open minded going into the film. I am talking about the original film of the original book here.

I also think the original film captures the foreboding feeling of the novel, and it’s stylistically and beautifully directed by Catherine Hardwicke. They also take a long book and speed up the plot, adding tension with the extra wee bits of the evil Vamps on their way. I enjoy some of the small moments they add in (the view Edward shows Bella, the reading minds bit in restaurant I don’t remember from the book). I feel these moments add to the plot and characters, rather than being pushed in for no reason. I feel like they made good, considered changes.

What do you think? What would you pick? Do you disagree? Examples of where you understand the changes even if you didn’t love them?

32 comments:

  1. I don't read young adult, but the movies that are better than the books are the LOTR films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh LOTR are a great choice! I wish I'd thought of those. They are better than the books. (Look forward to the Hobbit!)

      Delete
  2. I have no experience with TWILIGHT, so I can't comment on that. But I will agree with you on THE HUNGER GAMES. As far as movie adaptations go, I thought they did an excellent job. Where the book scores is certainly the intimacy you have with Katniss's thoughts, which is, by necessity, lost in the movie. On the other hand, they added (no doubt with Suzanne's input) some background information Katniss wouldn't have known (e.g., the control center in the Capitol where they were manipulating the Games) that I think enhanced the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, by necessity you lose your intimacy with Katniss, but absolutely they did a good job. They added very nice stuff to it to fill out that world, you are right there.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I just prefer the movie! More action, that's what I like!

      Delete
  4. I think they did the best they could adapting Hunger Games. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I probably like the book a bit more - but I agree they did a very good job. Best possible probably!

      Delete
  5. I think I've liked some films created from the classics better than the books. A&E especially does a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to bring up classics, I hadn't extended my thoughts wide enough, I now realise! Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  6. I love the Hunger Games and Twilight movies but I do like the books a smidge more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def think the Hunger Games edges the movie! Usually the books win out a bit more don't they.

      Delete
  7. Alleged Author's comment reminded me that the A&E adaptations of Horatio Hornblower are great. Really captured the feel of the shipboard life that the books did so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the novels of those, sounds like the adaptations did a good job though! Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I read this book, but never saw the movie. (I did see New Moon, though, but didn't read that book, so maybe I'm doing it all wrong.) I do love the film version of Remains of the Day, though. Hopkins was just perfect in that role, but you're right about the narrative playing out so differently on the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remains of the Day is the classic example for me of having read the book first and then never being able to quite buy into the film, however excellent, because it can't match the pictures I have conjured. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  9. I was pleased by The Hunger Games film adaptation, though I knew it was going to be impossible for it to follow the book exactly. In some places, the exposition seemed a little heavy-handed due to the POV switch, but overall, I loved it.

    One movie that edged out the book a little bit in my opinion was The Lovely Bones. I enjoyed the book, but I always thought it veered sharply off course near the very end. The film resolved some of those issues for me, and, of course, it was a visually gorgeous movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lovely Bones very good pick and Visually gorgeous you are right there.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. Oh I love the first Twilight movie, too! I've read the book a few times, but I've watched the movie more :) You're right, it really captures the feeling of the book in such a great way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie really captures the atmosphere of the books for me. So well done. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  11. Loved the Hunger Games books so was eager to see film. I did enjoy it and think they did a good job but wonder if I would have enjoyed it as much if I hadn't had the connection with the books and could fill in some of the missing elements myself. Will go and see the next film definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, if I hadn't known the plot would I have felt elements were missing? THIS agree with you I suspect knowing the book really helped. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  12. books can be so hard to capture in film, precisely because of the chopping for time. i believe if you get a good movie based on a book, you have a winner. hunger games got enough to do that. dont like to compare because you cant tell the audience all of katniss's thoughts...

    game of thrones series is doing a superb job. reading the third book for next season now! yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Game of Thrones: I so need to get on board with that, I really feel like I am missing out!

      Delete
  13. I try to go into the movie theater mentally prepared for something that is not at all like the book. That way I'm pleasantly surprised if there are any recognizable elements in the film! LOL. Most films completely mangle the works they're based on. The Scarlet Letter is the biggest abomination of all followed closely by The Unbearable Lightness of Being. The only time I thought the movie was actually better than the book was John Grisham's The Firm. The ending of the movie was different than the ending of the book and actually it was very clever. Probably not plausible but *sigh* more entertaining than the ending of the book. But that's not to dis John Grisham because he is brilliant and I love him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh The Firm, that didn't occur to me! Good pick! Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  14. Ooooo... what a fabulous blog you have here... I'm so glad we've connected! Came by to say thanks for the follow and to reciprocate! Writer peeps are THE BEST. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, very nice to connect with you ;)

      Delete
  15. I pretty much always love the book better. Though THE HELP was an excellent film that I thought captured the book really well. I loved the Hunger Games movie (filmed near me) but I thought the world in the book was much richer.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the congrats on #xmasinjuly. Appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the world in the book was richer - because we're more in her head, for me.

      No worries, must come on over to see how it's going for you, crossing fingers!

      Delete
  16. I definitely agree that Hunger Games the book is better than the movie, although the movie is still good. But yeah, you miss a lot not being in Katniss's head. Thanks for following! Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tight first person is hard to replace isn't it.

      No worries, thank you for coming here to visit! I see you have some XmasinJuly requests - congrats!

      Delete

Please comment, I'd love to know what you think! :)